Grant's Lodge No. 8825 founded 1978
in the Masonic Province of East Lancashire
The Lodge Banner.
BANNER DEDICATION CELEBRATING 10th Year
The work leading to the actual day of dedication was long and arduous. W.Bro Bentwood was particularly responsible for the production of the beautiful Banner, having connections with the embroidery company.
The Provincial office was particularly helpful in the compilation of the design of banner, which was taken from our summons. The guidance notes for the ceremony and all printing matters.
This meeting took place Monday, 21st November 1988 during the Mastership of Jeffrey S Jonas, at Ashday Lea, Rawtenstall.
Two of the founding members were the Donors of the Banner:
The event was a very lively and enjoyable ceremony.
If you inspect the Lodge Logo, you will see what is the most recognisable emblem of Freemasonry, the Square and Compasses. However, look a little closer and you will see a graphic resembling a tower in the centre of the Square and Compasses. This is a representation of the Norman style tower built in 1828 by brothers Daniel and William Grant overlooking Irwell Valley.
The GRANT families flight from Scotland to Lancashire ...1783
They were prosperous farmers living in Morayshire. A mixture of bad markets, famine and floods brought ruin to many and William Grant decided to bring his family to Lancashire and the growing cotton industry, hopefully with Mr Arkright in his mill in Manchester.
They travelled some 300-400 miles, with very little money and food. They travelled by way of Skipton to Manchester and finally looked down the Irwell, "a fair valley of trees and daffodils with a meandering fine river with lush meadows". At this spot, they ran out of money and food, and slept out in the open. The family gathered and prayed to God.
Next morning, they were found by two men out shooting. Hearing the plight of the family they gave two sovereigns to assist. The Grants searched, eventually finding work at a calico printing works. Mr Grant wanted to work outside and so hawked pieces of fent from house to house. The Grants family business started.
William Grant bought a shop in Bury, which was successful. He later moved to larger premises and started William Grant & Bros, Calico Printers. After 22 years, they repaid all their debts and William and Elizabeth returned to Strathspey with a bag of gold and paid all who lost in the disaster of 1783.
1806 The Grants purchased Ramsbottom Print Works. They invested in new machinery, buildings and looked after workers' interests. The family lived at Grants Lodge at rear of Grants Arms. The Grants were involved in industrial development in Ramsbottom and became well-known public benefactors.
Some restoration work has been carried out on the Tower by its new owner but regrettably it will never be restored to its former glory. To read more about the Tower's history please visit Lancashirepast.com
|Website design & maintenance by raytononline.co.uk||Copyright © 2016- Grant's Lodge - All rights reserved|